· Affiliation: dr.ir. Jos H. Weber, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Fac. EEMCS, Building 28 (Office W2.580), Van Mourik Broekmanweg 6, 2628 XE Delft, The Netherlands, tel. +31-15-2781698, e-mail J.H.Weber@tudelft.nl, http://staff.tudelft.nl/J.H.Weber/
· Visiting Professor @ University of Johannesburg, South Africa
· Chairman of the WIC
· Secretary of the IEEE Benelux Chapter on Information Theory
· Senior Member of the IEEE
· Organizer (with Richard Heusdens) of the 2017 Symposium on Information Theory and Signal Processing in the Benelux
· Organizer (with Han Vinck and Peter de With) of a Seminar (Rotterdam, June 16, 2017) in honor of Kees Schouhamer Immink, the recipient of the 2017 IEEE Medal of Honor; see also interview in IEEE Spectrum
· Co-Chairman of AEW10 (10th Asia-Europe Workshop on Concepts in Information Theory)
Recent/Current research activities
· ERC funded project ComCom ("Communication and Computation - Two Sides of One Tapestry", Starting Grant Michael Gastpar; partners EPFL and TU Delft; PhD student Zhijie Ren; 2012-2016. Zhijie successfully defended his PhD dissertation "Benefits of Compute-and-Forward in Throughput, Energy, and Security" on July 4, 2016.
· Balanced and/or runlength-limited coding schemes, in particular extensions of the Knuth balancing algorithm, in collaboration with Kees Schouhamer Immink (Turing Machines Inc) and the Telecommunications Research Group of Hendrik Ferreira (University of Johannesburg).
· Pearson codes, based on a detection principle resistant against gain and/or offset mismatch, in collaboration with Renfei Bu (PhD student at TU Delft), Kees Schouhamer Immink (Turing Machines Inc) and Theo Swart (University of Johannesburg).
Current teaching related activities
· Lecturer BSc course TI1106M Calculus
· Co-lecturer BSc course TW2560 Applied Algebra: Codes en Crypto Systems
· Lecturer MSc course ET4030 Error-Correcting Codes
· Lecturer MSc course EE4560 Information Theory
· Lecturer MSc course ET4358 Wireless Communications
· Mentor of several PhD students in the EEMCS Graduate School
· Member of the EEMCS /Computer Science Boards of Examiners
Brief professional biography
Jos H. Weber was born in Schiedam, The Netherlands, in 1961. He received the M.Sc. (in mathematics, with honors), Ph.D., and MBT (Master of Business Telecommunications) degrees from Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, in 1985, 1989, and 1996, respectively. He is a senior member of IEEE.
Since 1985 he has been with the Delft University of Technology. Currently, he is an associate professor in the Optimization Group. He is the chairman of the Werkgemeenschap voor Informatie- en Communicatietheorie since 2006, and the secretary of the IEEE Benelux Chapter on Information Theory since 2008. He was a Visiting Researcher at the University of California (Davis, CA, USA), the Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan), the University of Johannesburg (South Africa), and EPFL (Switzerland). His main research interests are in the area of channel coding.