· Affiliation: dr.ir. Jos H. Weber, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Fac. EEMCS, Building 36 (Office HB04.040), Mekelweg 4, 2628 CD Delft, The Netherlands, tel. +31-15-2781698, e-mail J.H.Weber@tudelft.nl, http://staff.tudelft.nl/J.H.Weber/
· Honorary Member of the WIC
· Secretary of the IEEE Benelux Chapter on Information Theory
· Senior Member of the IEEE
Current teaching related activities @ TU Delft
· Master Coordinator Applied Mathematics
· Instructor BSc course AM1030 Linear Algebra 1
· Co-lecturer BSc course AM2560 Applied Algebra: Codes and Crypto Systems
· Lecturer MSc course ET4030 Error-Correcting Codes
· Lecturer MSc course EE4560 Information Theory
· Lecturer MSc course ET4358 Wireless Communications
Recent/Current research subjects/projects
· “Detection and (de)coding methods for channels with unknown gain and/or offset”, in collaboration with Renfei Bu (PhD student at TU Delft, thesis defence December 6, 2021), Kees Schouhamer Immink (Turing Machines Inc), Cai Kui (Singapore University of Technology and Design), and Theo Swart (University of Johannesburg).
· “Balanced and/or runlength-limited coding schemes, in particular extensions of the Knuth balancing algorithm”, in collaboration with Kees Schouhamer Immink (Turing Machines Inc) and the Telecommunications Research Group at the University of Johannesburg.
· “Coding for distributed storage”, in collaboration with Khaled Abdel-Ghaffar (UC Davis) and students.
· “Codes for DNA-based data storage”, in collaboration with Joost de Groot and students.
· “Combinatorics in Digital Communication”, 4TU.NIRICT Community Funding, granted June 2022.
Some special activities
· Organizer (with Richard Heusdens) of the 2017 Symposium on Information Theory and Signal Processing in the Benelux
· Organizer (with Han Vinck and Peter de With) of a Seminar (Rotterdam, June 16, 2017) in honor of Kees Schouhamer Immink, the recipient of the 2017 IEEE Medal of Honor; see also interview in IEEE Spectrum
· Co-Chairman of AEW10 (10th Asia-Europe Workshop on Concepts in Information Theory, June 2017)
· Visiting Researcher (hosted by Hendrik Ferreira) at the University of Johannesburg (Nov 2017)
· Visiting Researcher (hosted by Cai Kui) at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (Oct-Nov 2018)
· Keynote speaker at SITB2019
· Invited speaker at the 3rd African Winter School on Information Theory and Communications, Hartbeespoort, South Africa, August 27-29, 2019.
· Visiting Researcher (hosted by Theo Swart) at the University of Johannesburg (Sept 2019)
Brief professional biography
Jos H. Weber was born in Schiedam, The Netherlands, in 1961. He received the M.Sc. (in mathematics, with honors), Ph.D., and MBT (Master of Business Telecommunications) degrees from Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, in 1985, 1989, and 1996, respectively. He is a senior member of IEEE.
Since 1985 he has been with the Delft University of Technology. Currently, he is an associate professor at the Department of Applied Mathematics. He was the chairman of the Werkgemeenschap voor Informatie- en Communicatietheorie from 2006 until 2021. He is the secretary of the IEEE Benelux Chapter on Information Theory since 2008. He was a Visiting Researcher at the University of California (Davis, CA, USA), the Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan), the University of Johannesburg (South Africa), EPFL (Switzerland), and SUTD (Singapore). His main research interests are in the area of channel coding.