Can be used to find an optimal reconciliation between a binary gene tree and a binary species tree.
Leo van Iersel, Celine Scornavacca and Steven Kelk. Exact Reconciliation of undated trees. arXiv:1410.7004 [q-bio.PE] (2014).
Download the source file "ReconciliationILP.java".
Install CPLEX, which is free for academic use, see IBM academic initiative.
(Optional) Install Graphviz.
Open a terminal window and navigate to the folder of ReconciliationILP.java.
Type "javac ReconciliationILP.java -classpath [path to cplex.jar]" to compile the source on your computer, where [path to cplex.jar] is the location of cplex.jar on your computer.
Type "java -Djava.library.path=[path to shared library] ReconciliationILP species.tree gene.tree" to run the program. Here, [path to shared library] should indicate the path to the shared library, usually the path to cplex.jar will work.
- "species.tree" should contain a binary species tree in newick format;
- "gene.tree" should contain a binary gene tree in newick format.
- The program will construct a dot-file "G.dot" containing the gene tree with labelled nodes.
- The program will construct a dot-file "S.dot" containing the species tree. Here, each node is labelled by the nodes of the gene tree that are mapped to it.
In addition, blue transfer edges show where there are transfer events (T or TL events).
- If Graphviz is installed, the program will also convert the dot-files to pdf-files.
- The program will also construct a phylogenetic network in a file "network.txt" in e-newick format (consisting of the species tree with transfer edges added to it).
For input files species.tree and gene.tree, the program generates the following files:
java ReconciliationILP species.tree gene.tree [c_s c_d c_t c_sl c_tl] [--i k] [--supp]
|trees.txt||newick file containing first a species tree then a gene tree|
|c_s||cost of a speciation event (default 0)|
|c_d||cost of a duplication event (default 1)|
|c_t||cost of a transfer event (default 1)|
|c_sl||cost of a speciation and loss event (default 0)|
|c_tl||cost of a transfer and loss event (default 1)|
|--i k||set maximum number of events per vertex of gene tree to k (default: height of species tree)|
|--supp||suppress progress of CPLEX|